Monday, August 23, 2010

What's for dinner?

I went up to my cabin this past week, and I was excited to see we had some new neighbours. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), they were long gone before I was able to take a tour of their home. This wasp hive was nestled up in our old BBQ. Perfect protection from wind and rain, I was glad that someone was still getting use of it! The artistic spirals of the nest make a neat sight. The wasps chew on wood from around the area, and when mixed with their saliva, it makes a paper pulp. When they're building their nest, they rotate their bodies forming the unique spirals. When a variety of different wood types are used, the different colours intertwine to make an artistic design.
It wasn't long before I began dissecting the hive to discover what the inside looks like. You can see that there is many layers. Inside many of the honey-comb floors, wasps seemed to be encircled, in an egg-type structure. I can only assume these ones did not properly hatch before the weather got cold.

Now I guess the only question is, do you like your patty layered or combed?

-LA

No comments:

Post a Comment